Gluten Free and only 2 Net Carbs!!!
Servings: 12 Mini Cups
Author: Angela Coleby
- 1/2 cup (56g) coconut flour
- 1/4 cup Erythritol or sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup 113g butter, unsalted softened
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4oz 112g cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons erythritol or sugar susbtitute
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Fresh strawberries cut into small pieces
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Grease a mini muffin tin well.
- In a bowl, mix the coconut flour, erythritol, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the butter, egg and vanilla and mix into a dough.
- Line a mini muffin tin with 12 cases.
- Roll the dough into 12 balls.
- Press the dough balls into the case making sure that there is a large “well” in the middle and spreading the edges out.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden and firm.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Gently remove the shortcake cups from the tin. If they start to crumble, place them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to harden.
- Blend the erythritol, cream cheese, vanilla extract and double cream until smooth.
- Pipe into the shortcake cases. Or spoon it in.
- Decorate with strawberries
- Eat and enjoy
Makes 12 mini cookie cups
Nutritional Info per cup – 134 Calories, 12g Fat, 2g Protein, 4g Total Carbs, 2g Fibre, 2g Net Carbs
I am on the road most days and tend to skip breakfast, even though I am completely aware that breakfast is the most important meal of the day…it kick starts the metabolism. I can also be lazy so I don’t bother with a blender except if I am making one for my husband as well in which I may add frozen fruit and/or a banana. The basic recipe for me is:
- 1 Scoop Protein (I use protein concentrate not isolate as it is slower released and keeps me fuller longer)
- 1 Tbls liquid fish oil (you can never taste the fish oil as they make them very tasty these days)
- 1 Tbls Progressive Phytoberry (this is loaded with berries and fruits among many other ingredients, which is very high in anti-oxidants)
- 1 Tbls Progressive Vege Greens (you won’t believe how many amazing ingredients in this greens product and they now have a new pineapple/coconut flavor)
- 1-2 Tbls MCT oil (this is a great fat burner)
This is your basic recipe. You can use whatever protein powders, greens or powder fruit blends as you choose. I put water in my shaker cup (the one with the metal mesh ball in them), add all of the ingredients, shake and go. It literally takes 5 minutes max.
If I use a blender, I will add one or more of the following:
- 1 banana
- ½ cup frozen blueberries (you can use fresh)
- ½ cup frozen strawberries (you can use fresh)
- Any other types of fruit
- You can add spinach or kale for added greens
- The recipes are completely endless depending on your taste, just do it
I could not eat ALL DAY long and get half of the nutrients that I get in this shake. You can even freeze it for later and have a frozen smoothie.
I am a huge fan of recipes that use cauliflower as a substitute for any starchy, carbohydrate laden foods. I found this one on Pinterest.
Cheesy Chipotle Cauliflower Casserole (Low Carb and Gluten Free)
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp (or more) chopped chipotles in adobo sauce (canned)
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup salsa verde
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup chopped raw tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped pickled jalapenos (optional)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Clean and trim the cauliflower, breaking it into medium sized pieces. Place in a microwave safe bowl with 2 Tbsp of cream and 1 Tbsp of butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10 minutes. Stir to coat cauliflower with cream/butter mixture. Microwave for another six – eight minutes on high (or until cauliflower is tender). Remove from the microwave and put into a high speed blender or food processor along with the cheese, chipotles, and garlic powder. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the puree in an 8 x 8 casserole dish. Spread on the sour cream, then the salsa verde. Sprinkle the chopped tomatoes and jalapenos on top. Cover with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes at 375 degrees (F), or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Approx nutrition info. per serving: 335 calories, 26g fat, 6g net carbs, 14g protein